Commercial buildings are substantial investments that require regular upkeep to maintain their value and extend their lifespan. One critical aspect that often gets overlooked is the importance of preventive maintenance on commercial roofs. The National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) has provided valuable facts and figures to emphasize the need for proper roof maintenance. In this article, we will explore the significance of preventive maintenance on commercial roofs and examine the data provided by the NRCA.
The Costs of Neglecting Roof Maintenance
According to the NRCA, neglecting roof maintenance can lead to severe consequences, including premature roof failure, costly repairs, and even potential liabilities. Some key figures on the costs of neglect include:
- Up to 40% of all building-related problems can be attributed to water infiltration through the roof system.
- The average cost of replacing a commercial roof is between $10 and $20 per square foot, which can easily amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars for a large building.
- It is estimated that businesses lose billions of dollars each year due to water damage, mold, and other roof-related issues.
The Benefits of Preventive Maintenance
Preventive maintenance on commercial roofs is an effective way to minimize costs, prolong the roof’s life, and prevent potential hazards. Some of the most significant benefits include:
- A well-maintained roof can last up to twice as long as a neglected one.
- Regular maintenance can help detect minor issues early, preventing them from becoming costly repairs.
- Properly maintained roofs can improve the building’s energy efficiency, leading to significant savings on utility bills.
The NRCA’s Recommendations for Preventive Maintenance on Commercial Roofs
The NRCA provides a set of guidelines for commercial building owners and facility managers to ensure proper roof maintenance. Key recommendations include:
- Conduct semi-annual inspections, ideally in the spring and fall.
- Hiring a professional roofing contractor who is familiar with the specific type of roofing system to perform the inspections.
- Creating a detailed maintenance plan that addresses potential issues, including roof drains, flashings, and sealants.
- Keeping accurate records of all inspections, maintenance, and repairs to help plan future maintenance activities and budget accordingly.
Preventive maintenance on commercial roofs is essential for protecting your investment and ensuring the longevity of the roofing system. The facts and figures provided by the NRCA highlight the significant costs associated with neglecting roof maintenance and the benefits of a well-maintained roof. By following the NRCA’s recommendations, building owners and facility managers can effectively minimize costs, extend the lifespan of the roof, and maintain a safe and efficient building environment. Contact GSM Roofing to discuss our Preventive Maintenance options and the plan that is right for you.